Saturday, January 31, 2015

Art Show at Atlantis Cafe!


Even though it was quite a bit of work, I enjoyed hanging a goodly number of my paintings, large and small, at Atlantis Cafe for the months of December 2014 and January 2015.

Yesterday I drove to Regina to dismantle the show, and took the time to photograph some of the highlights.

Here's the result:

My friend Bill Burley came to help me. He posed with his portrait that I painted two tears ago.
I am sure my paintings enjoyed getting out for some fresh air and the different vibe of the Atlantis Cafe.Who knows how many eyes gazed upon them in their new setting for that eight weeks?


What lays beyond the imposing archway?
I left the strange landscape in this painting gauzy and irresolute, as I preferred to let the "mind's eye" fill in the detail. What lays beyond the imposing archway? Why not send an emissary in to find out? He will report back to us.

Scene from the "Public Gardens" in Halifax, N.S.
I was so happy that I was packing my camera on the day this trio of acrobats were strutting their stuff at the historic "Public Gardens" in Halifax. It was a gorgeous summer day sometime in the early nineteen-eighties...that I was only too happy to immortalize in this large painting.


Just ignore the strings, and go with it...
What do you see first, the puppet, or the puppeteer? If you can suspend your disbelief just for a second, the magic happens. Suddenly, the puppet comes to life!

Street scenes from Montreal and Halifax.
Art comes in may forms, including "Performance Art". One of my great joys and passions is to chronicle the many incarnations of creativity that I see on the streets. Taking a photograph(s) is only the first step. PAINTING my impressions for posterity is the leap across the "round tuit" chasm!


Dressed to Kill.
This young man was a fixture on the streets and pubs of Halifax in the early nineteen-eighties. Exuding self-confidence and swagger, as he had mastered the look and attitude of "Chic Punkiness", he instantly agreed to strike a pose for me.


Pushing Daisies.
"Pushing Daisies" is a more contemporary painting, one of four large canvasses that were created in the summer of 2013.

The "Salon Style" grouping...

I decided to include some of my "Vintage Manitou Beach" paintings in the show. These are some of the remaining pieces I still own, out of about thirty produced in the past few years.

"Reflections in a Picture Window"
This painting was created about ten years ago. It is a portrait of our house at Manitou Beach, on a gloriously sunny fall day.

With a little cluster of paintings at Atlantis Cafe.
My friend Bill Burley took this photograph, just before we started to dismantle the exhibition.











No comments:

Post a Comment